Tuesday 17 August 2010

She is beyond good and evil


A casual observation from comics I have been writing about so far, and of my comics reading in general: I read lots of comics by both male and female artists. When picking up material to read, I have no preference for either gender (or any other, for that matter).
Naturally there are differences. Different genres get different creators, there are some thematic and possibly also artistic preferences, and in western world majority of female creators tend to be in indie scene (manga is naturally a different beast). But I read a variety of genres, I am open to many styles and read both mainstream and indie comics so that's ok.

Because I have such a difficulty to fathom why would anyone have a preference for either male or female creators, I am known to be occasionally dismissive about these female empowerment initiatives and whatelse. From where I am standing those are a step backward, even if when I look at things objectively I do notice the need for them.

I rarely say this but in some ways it would be better if everyone would think like me (in some other ways it would suck so hard). But honestly, all you need to do is to love comics as an artform.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your assertion that it shouldn't matter what gender the writer is - just that they're capable of writing good stories. Unfortunately, history seems to think otherwise. There's plenty of tales of female writers who had to take a male pseudonym simply because they might've not been taken seriously otherwise. Likewise, there are men who've taken a female Nom de Plume simply so they could write romance without being orchastraized.

    As shadwing from ScansDaily said about a line of holographic action toys, "No idea why...guy dolls don't sell well in the fashion lines and girl figures don't sell in the action lines...double standard I know but the proof is in the sales numbers."
    http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/2256301.html

    BTW, it took me awhile to decipher what your image was conveying. At first, I thought it was an image from the NFB short, Begone Dull Care. This was created in 1949 without the aid of computers or storyboards. The creator, Norman McLauren composed this abstract piece entirely inside his head.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8uktqgKgw0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, nice film. The image was picked for its vagueness, sort of "the XX are there, so what" pic :)

    Viewing the matter objectively it of course is clear that there's a long way to go...and I do think there are noticeable correlation between gender and numerous ways of thinking and acting (while still also admitting that the variation inside the gender groups are bigger than the differences between genders).
    There are trends noticeable in genres, themes and how they are handled. I am not exactly holding my breath waiting to see, say, a western comic with female creator (though now when I say it, it might be interesting). So for big part it comes down to not understanding why would someone not be interested in a variety of genres, styles and points of view.

    BTW, someone I know, who reads quite a lot of romantic fiction, mentioned once that the soppiest melodramas in romance genre are as a rule written be men, especially the ones about undying love (Bridges of Madison County was mentioned). I do wonder if that rule would stand in objective scrutiny...

    ReplyDelete